The best anti-wrinkle creams should help reduce, slow down and even reverse the signs of aging on the skin and make your skin look smooth, firm, nourished and radiant. In order for the aging creams to work, they should address the causes of aging in the first place. In this article, we will go through some of the facts about aging so you can tell if the best aging creams will deliver as they promise.
Causes of Skin Aging
The aging process becomes noticeable as early as in our 20’s when the levels of connective tissues, or collagen and elastin fibers, in our skin start to drop. With the loss of the connective tissues, the skin is less elastic and loses its ability to retain moisture. Following this two things will happen: the skin becomes drier causing the decrease of the underlying fat padding; the drop in the support by the fat padding in turn causes the skin to sag. It becomes less supple and wrinkles form.
Types of Aging
Based on research, there are two types of aging: internal and external.
Aging as a result of genetic effects is called internal aging, or intrinsic aging. This is the natural and continuous aging process that we inherit. During this process, the production of collagen, elastin along with other substances supporting the skin begin to slow down. In addition, the shedding of dead cells slows, and the renewal of skin cells decreases in speed as well. The signs associated with this internal aging process may include:
- fine lines or wrinkles
- thinner skin
- saggy skin
- drier skin
- appearance of age spots
- hair loss
- weaker nail with deeper ridges
External aging, or extrinsic aging, is caused by environmental factors. This is what causes the skin to age prematurely. As you may know, one of the major external factors that causes aging is excessive sun exposure. Others include smoking, stress, improper diets and lifestyle, repetitive facial gestures, and gravity.
When we are under adverse external aging process, excessive production of free radicals in our body causes damage in the protective cell membranes and tissues. This leads to aging in general including our skin.
Free radicals are unstable molecules highly charged with oxygen. The production of free radicals is originally a natural process when food is oxidized to create energy. Small amounts of free radicals in our bodies are harmless, but excessive free radicals will set off a chain reaction causing even more free radicals being produced. In addition, environmental factors encountered during the external aging process can also create large amounts of free radicals. For example, exposure to the UV radiation from the sun, smoking, pollution, stress and obesity.
Ways To Slow Down The Signs of Aging Skin
Based on years of research, scientists have discovered that various kinds of natural ingredients can effectively help slow down and reverse the signs of aging in skin. These natural ingredients are now commonly used in anti-aging skincare products.
So based on the facts of aging discussed above, you may want to look for anti-aging products that contain the following ingredients to help boost collagen production:
- Vitamin A – topical Vitamin A is found to help stimulate the production of collagens in the skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines.
- Vitamin C – also known as ascorbic acid is an effective antioxidant to neutralize free radicals, as well as a stablizing agent for maintaining collagen production. Based on this it is found to be effective in reducing fine wrinkles.
- Glycolic Acid – this ingredient is one of the most active ingredients used in anti-aging skincare products. After entering the skin cells, the acid can stimulate collagen generations to plump cells and the underlying tissues in the skin resulting in the reduction of wrinkles.
- Copper Peptides – these are protein fragments and the latest scientific discovery in anti-aging skincare. The peptides can enhance elasticity and improve firmness of the skin. The end result is reduced fine lines and wrinkles.
If you suffer from premature aging due to the external aging process, you may look for the best anti-wrinkles cream that can neutralize and decrease free radicals, such as:
- Vitamin C and E – powerful antioxidants that can fight free radicals. Vitamin E also has anti-inflammatory effects on skin. When used topically, it is found to be able to improve moisture retension, suppleness and smoothness of the skin.
- Green Tea Extract – the natural extract of green tea is a potent antioxidant to reduce free radicals in skin cells. Its anti-inflammatory quality helps to reduce fine lines, puffiness, and minimize pores as a result of excessive levels of free radicals in the body.
Other ways of slowing down the aging process in the skin include:
- using sunscreens to block the UV rays to prevent wrinkles from appearing prematurely
- including foods rich in antioxidants into your diets to destroy free radicals and detoxify the body. These foods include berries, green-leafed vegetables, nuts, beans, and cereals.
If you are still wondering whether a cream for wrinkles or under eye cream is effective, you may want to consult with a dermatologist. You want to first determine your skin types and conditions and whether your skin is sensitive to certain ingredients. Then you can try a few products based on your informed decision. The bottom line is, the best anti-wrinkle lotion should help you feel and look good with your skin.
Articles Related to Anti-Wrinkle Creams:
- Things You Should Know About Skin Anti-Aging Products
- How To Choose Anti-Aging Best Products
- Anti-Aging Cream For Facial Use
- Best Anti-Wrinkle Cream On The Market
- Anti-Age Skin Products
- Anti-Aging Cream Ingredients That Matter